Friday, January 23, 2009

I'm looking forward to one day in the future when I don't shovel snow, when every part of my body doesn't ache. There are moments when I like that my body feels lived in, that the ache reminds me I live inside here, but there are also days when the aches is annoying and I am unable to forget it. I was content with the soreness from skiing, but today I spent the latter part of the morning and the afternoon shoveling snow from the roof. The snow was like rocks after weeks of melting during the day and refreezing during the night and the effort of throwign it away from the house was exhausting. Instead of feeling better, like my muscles are streched and reposed there are just more sore muscles, different muscles than yesterday which effectively makes my entire body hurt. This constant dull ache has become part of my everday existance here, I think the day I wake without some pain in my body I won't know quite what to do. I think this quote from Memoirs of Hadrian sums it up rather well...
"This morning it occured to me for the first time that my body, my faithful companion and friend, truer and better known to me than my own sould, maybe after all only a sly beast who will end by devouring his master"

No comments: