Sunday, December 14, 2008

I feel like all I can write about is the snow. It's relentless and beautiful. The rumble of avalanches fills the valley...all night, throughout the afternoon. The roads are closed, school cancelled, there is no hope of anyone comeing into or leaving the village before Wed and even that looks doubtful. Fra, Jaouad, and Corinne are stranded in various places, which leaves me, Davide, J, and Marianna (the new resident from Uruguay). All goes on as usual. This morning it took the entirety of the morning to clear a sliver of a path from here to the center. The snow is up to my shoulders. This afternoon Davide and J were jumping from the ballcony of the belltower into the ocean of snow below. Fortunately it isn't too cold, on -1 or 2. We're warm and cozy in the house, fireplace crackling, cat napping on the couch...
I remember I time I complained at the thought of moving to Madison because the weather was so foul. Now it seems like a short winter of only 5 months. But despite the incredible about of snow life is still rather pleasant. No intense wind, no bitter cold (at least for now) and fortunately I don't have to make a commute to work. I suppose there are some advantages to living and working in the same place.
Oh how easily we forget the summer. The heat of the sun quickly turns into the heat from the fire. Long nights of parties and dancing simply slip into long dark nights. Summer romances turn into winter cuddle buddies. And when June rolls around these things will once again merge into each other and we will forget the worries of winter, of snow and shovels, the laugher of sled riding in the stree and live fully into the sun and the ability to wear only one pair of clothes. How this life slips one season into the next without anyone noticing until we are in the middle of the next. I suppose the seasons of life and of the year are on in the same...

No comments: