Monday, March 16, 2009

On the upswing

I don't know if I've discovered the cure for homesickness for all Americans living in Italy, but I've found the cure for mine this time around. It starts with a healthy dose of International Women's Day partying with the women in my village, is promptly followed by Purim at home with friends, then a trip to Torino, a date, and finishes with a whirlwind weekend in Milano. And presto you feel like your old self again...
What a week! We finished with the group that was here for the weekend, cleaned the kitchen and the women of my house got dressed like real women, not mountain women, and met about 40 other women for dinner, drinks, and dancing at the local pub. You can read more about that fantastic night here. It was really what I needed to start getting back to my old self. Thankfully I had a day of recovery in between to get ready for Purim. That day in between really resulted in alot of sleeping off of a hang over and sleeping through my fast for the day, but come Tuesday I was ready. I spent the day cooking some of my favorite comfort Jew Food and in the evening we had a really wonderful meal. That fantastic dinner was followed by the drinking of alot of wine, and the playing of silly games, which got more and more ridculous and the night went on. How I love playing board games in a language I've only spoken for 7 months. I had one more day of recovery and the headed to Torino on Thursday morning. I didn't realize how much I needed to be out of the village until I set foot in the city. Just a change of scenery lightened my heart. I headed out to see some friends, made a trip to an international book store, picked up a few Henry Miller books and was really starting to feel like me again.
Which was good seeing as I had a date that night. Not just any date, this date was my first, first date in nearly 5 years. I know it seems rather impossible...but I was with Him for 4 years and that doesn't leave much room for first dates and although I'd been seeing The Gypsy for a couple months there was no official first date involved, it just kind of happened. Needless to say I was feeling a bit nervous at such a prospect, but it went well. I met him after his German class, he cooked me an impressive Italian dinner, and there wasn't a moment of awkward silence through the entirety of the time we were together. Unfortunately I got the ever popular "I just got out of a long relationship and I'm not looking for anything serious right now" line, which we all know means "I'm really just trying to sleep with you tonight". But, I'm still going to count that night as a success.
1. Because I succeeded in having a first date all in Italian with no awkward moments of me not being able to find the word I needed.
2. Because I met and had dinner with some one not associated with Agape in some way and
3. Because all in all I had a good time.
Friday I met up with a couple members of my staff and we all grabbed the train to Milano together. It was so nice to be kicked back with the boys for a change. I know the women I live with aren't your typical women and we don't have crazy petty fights about boys or shoes, but there is something that just puts me at ease when I can kick back say what I want and not have some one competing with me, when I'm with a group of guy friends. And as proud of myself as I am for having met and had a date with some one not associated with the center in some way I was also in needed of some time with those who know Agape and can actually understand what I'm talking about in some aspect. I really needed a couple hours to chat with Fede, with some one who has been a resident, and can say "I understand" and mean it. After our Friday night chat I was ready for the weekend of staff meeting/incredible amount of fun. Lots of wine, lots of laughter, and just being. I know almost everyone thinks that their staff for the summer is fantastic and the best, but I'm sure that mine really is. We all get along well, we laugh, we're creative together, and it's a good support system for me that I was unaware of. I got home last night absolutely exhausted, content to be sleeping in my own bed again, and ready (or so I think) to face the crazy week ahead.

No comments: