Thursday, February 12, 2009

Today I played teacher. I taught English for 2 hours at the school in the village. I can't imagine being the teacher there on a daily basis. After 2 hours I was absolutely exhausted. There were only 9 children in the class from 6-10 yrs. I don't know how one goes about teaching children at all different levels at the same time, in the same room. I suppose it's been done for a long time and continues to be done in small villages around the world. It takes a special person to be able to do that day after day, and today I discovered I can happily teach English for a few hours, but after those couple of hours I was more than ready for a break.
After I finished I decided to head over to the Alpi to grab a coffee while I waited for the tobaccio to open, chat with Casanova a bit, and get a much needed dose of caffeine. The caffeine was the only thing I was expecting that I actually got. I walked in, found that Casanova wasn't working, and sitting at my usual table was The Gypsy. He was in Prali working with some people on the upcoming snow board contest. Needless to day I was a bit surprised, we hadn't spoken since he left for London. Neither one of us said much. I asked about all the travel for work, he seemed less than thrilled about it. He asked if I would be able to help with a bit of translation and pronunciation for an English song one of his artists is working on. I told him "of course". I fought against easily falling into the rhythm of things before, just because it was easy and I liked having some one to fawn over me a bit. It took a bit of effort to remind myself that it wasn't a good place to get emotionally involved. I think it might do us both a bit of could to have a proper conversation. I don't want us to feel uncomfortable around each other, we'll obviously be seeing each other for the rest of my time here. I think I'd feel a bit more settled about the whole thing if we talked, we'll see what happens.

No comments: